Friday, July 20, 2012

Ask Me Anything: How Do I...?

In this semi-regular feature on Witch Mom, I answer select questions from readers. There is always a box (that states "Ask Me Anything") to the right of my blog posts if you would also like to ask a question. It could be about The Craft, parenting, pop culture, multi-religious education, homeschooling, or whatever! I cannot promise to answer each one, but I will read them!

A reader asks: "I am a new Wiccan but am headed off to college. What is the best way for me to learn Witchcraft?"



OK, I have to admit, I am a little stumped by this question. I don't really understand what you are asking. I think that we are having a miscommunication problem brought on by the commercialization of pagan traditions, especially Wicca. There is only one way to learn Witchcraft and/or Wicca- from another qualified person or persons directly. A teacher or a coven. Not a class or workshop, not a book or DVD, and not an email list.


Let me first start by stating that Wicca and Witchcraft are not always interchangable terms. Witchcraft is a broad term encompassing far more than just Wicca, although Wicca is the best known, especially to newcomers. I, for example, am a Witch- initiated into one tradition and studying yet another, yet do not identify as Wiccan. Neither tradition I am affiliated with is Wiccan. 


Wicca, in its true form, is an initiatory tradition- usually Gardnarian or Alexandrian flavored. If you are talking about that kind of Wicca, the only way to learn it is in person, with a teacher or teaching coven. So I would seek out listings for teachers or covens in your new place- WitchVox is a great place to look. 


However, if you mean Wicca, as in "Is this better to learn online or from a book?" The answer from me is going to be a resounding NO- neither of those option will teach you the Mysteries. Don't get me wrong- I am studying using digital technology with a specific teacher and training coven. But I do not expect to be initiated or get passed Mysteries (in other words, be a Witch in that tradition) unless I get some serious face-to-face time logged in with that coven. Instead, I am learning lore and systems. This is useful- yes! But it is not the whole enchilada. A good Witch never mistakes the mere pinto beans for the whole enchilada.


I read books on The Craft and Occult mysteries all the time. But they do not make me a Witch. That link says everything I would want to say about how to become a Witch. Thank you, Sarah Lawless for that brilliant piece of writing!


The second bit of confusion I am having is the apparent conflict of college and Witchcraft that you seem to have. Witchcraft is a calling- you don't choose it, it chooses you. If you are called, you can put it off for a while and make college your priority for a time, but not forever. If you are feeling  a pull, I would start working towards finding a reputable teacher (do not settle for the first one you find!) ASAP. Please read that link as well as to how to find the right teacher for you.


That said, Witchcraft will change you forever. It will form the frame of reference that you will see everything through. It won't make you a lot of friends, but it can make you some enemies. So choose carefully and don't take the path lightly. I wish you luck and safety in your travels and great discernment in your choices. Blessings Light and Dark! -Lily

1 comment:

  1. This article certainly nailed down some of my concerns and clarified some confusion I have...

    "Witchcraft chooses you" [paraphrased] -- that's good and I like it.

    "That said, Witchcraft will change you forever. It will form the frame of reference that you will see everything through. It won't make you a lot of friends, but it can make you some enemies. So choose carefully and don't take the path lightly. I wish you luck and safety in your travels and great discernment in your choices." -- this confirmed my belief: If I am going to be a Witch, better make sure I can stand up for it and its followers. Defend when necessary. Still choose Witchcraft even after possible consequences --> may lose some friends, lovers, and relatives; may get myself prayed over and treated like someone who dosen't know good from evil; May even be treated as evil; May lose my job, not get promoted due to strange religius belief, or have difficulty in getting one(so, better save money).

    Thank you for the article, Ms. Lily. Thank you also to the person who posted the question.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.