Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gratitude

This Thanksgiving week I am pondering gratitude, naturally. So I thought that as an exercise I would post here about many of the things for which I am grateful. I invite you to do so in the comments, as well. For it is only when we are grateful for what we have that we are truly connected and present!

 This is something that I try and do frequently, but as I get caught up in my every day life and its challenges, sometimes the idea of gratitude escapes me. It is then that I complain or forget how much I actually have.


I am grateful for the presence and health of my son. He has changed my life in myriad ways, all of which are for the better. He is the reason that I do so many of the things that I do these days, with joy.

I am grateful that, in these times of economic uncertainty, that I have a roof over my head, food on my table, and my bills (mostly) paid on time. I am grateful that the government assists families like mine with food, money, and medical care and I pray that this will continue for all of us.

I am grateful for a partner that shares so many things in common with me. Oberyn is an excellent father, a thoughtful partner, and one helluva priest.

I am grateful that I found Starr King School for the Ministry when I did- it has been an integral part of my spiritual growth at a time when I needed exactly what it could offer me. The faculty, staff, and students there are all amazing people that I am glad to have in my life.

I am grateful for my Feri teacher, who has been there for me, time and again. She is awfully patient with me as I struggle with challenges and has been a wellspring of support and empathy. She is also an amazing teacher and I am lucky to have her.

I am grateful for friends to with whom I can laugh, break bread, and have meaningful conversations. I have found several meaningful new relationships this year as well as continuing older ones. I am building my tribe, person by person- step by step.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post. Sometimes, I think we prefer not to remember things to be grateful for because we'll then realize how many blessings we have, and, well...it's nice to gripe sometimes.

    In this spirit, then--
    *I am thankful for helpful spirits (human and non) who try to nudge me into making the right choices. (Which isn't easy.)

    * I am thankful for family members who stand by me during tough times (probably because they have no choice) and friends who do the same (who do have the choice not to)

    * I am thankful for having found you (yeah!) and others of like mind in your Fora and Links. Oh, for sharing with us Rowan and Oberyn. (Yo, Rowan!)

    * For the people who started the Net, Google, interesting websites--because you brought "the libraries and museums" much nearer to people

    * For the websites: "It Gets Better", "Charter for Compassion", "The Positivity Blog", the SPN-based websites

    * For poems, songs, and experiences that people share--w/c give us joy and help us with our lives. Esp. for the poem "Can You Imagine?" by Robert Potts (Can you imagine a world without witches...)

    * I am thankful for the times when I choose not to be stubborn enough to listen; for the ability to be stubborn and difficult when necessary; for the chances to develop an irreverent humor and perspective on life (w/c does help in surviving)

    *for Lilith---although I don't think she has started on me yet (and that fills me with both trepidation and excitement). (Maybe I shouldn't thank her yet in case she sets her eyes on me now?)

    * for all of Life's turn-ons: humans, ideas, the World (well, pleasant things about it), human activities (pleasant ones)

    *for having a job and getting extra jobs. (May I continue to have them!)

    *for The X-Files, NCIS, Supernatural, Bones, Star Trek; for fan fiction and fans

    Okay, I'm getting dizzy. Thanks you for the opportunity, Lily.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.